The Role of Power Electronics in Grid Modernization
Presented by: Manuel Avendaño, Jordan Smith, Gabriel Andaya and Md Arifujjaman from Southern California Edison
This webinar will discuss applications and role of power electronics associated with grid modernization. The presenters will share key technical challenges that should be taken into consideration and provide recommendations for research, development, and demonstration needed for power electronics to help transform distribution grids into flexible, networked platforms that optimize DER value through advanced grid management and empower customers with options to be reliability partners.
The webinar will consist of five key topics:
- Pathway 2045. High level introduction to our vision including abundant inverter-based generation and storage, electric vehicles (EVs), and efficient electrification
- Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS). Real examples of BESS installed in SCE service territory.
- Dynamic Power Conditioner. Results of lab testing.
- EVs. Focus on grid integration challenges.
- Smart Solar PV Inverters. Results of lab testing for Rule 21 requirements.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Utilities, government officials, academia
The webinar is intended for anyone interested in the challenges and opportunities to implement power electronics into the grid and how these technologies will enable the utility of the future. Attendees can include utility engineers and technicians, researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, academics, members of all IEEE societies, and so forth.